Technical debt - was Re: datetime seems to be broken WRT timezones (even when you add them)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:01:56 EST 2020

On 2/11/20 4:05 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Or just the recognition that, eventually, technical debt has to be
> paid.

Speaking about technical debt is certainly fashionable these days.  As
if we've somehow discovered a brand new way of looking at things.  But
it doesn't matter what you do, there's always real cost, and therefore
always technical debt. Moving to Python 3 incurs technical debt.
Staying with Python 2 incurs technical debt.  Thus I wonder if the term
is actually that useful.

I know what you mean, though.  The cost of staying with Python2 is
increasing rapidly compared to the cost of porting to Python3.  Unlike
the nebulous term, "technical debt," the cost of staying with Python2 vs
porting to Python3 can be quantified in real dollar amounts.  I've no
doubt that the calculus is in favor of Python2 a while longer for many
people.