help

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Dec 30 19:51:57 EST 2020

On 12/30/20 2:14 PM, BearGod777 wrote:
> every time i try and open a .py file it just ciomes up with either modify,
> uninstall or repair. i have tried every single one of these and i have
> tried to install another version (it couldnt run on that version) and it
> just doesnt load up. if i try and open a new file it works but if i try and
> open a file that my friend made it just comes up with those options. please
> help

you're rerunning the installer, don't do that.

that sounds rude. but isn't meant to be.  somehow in recent times, the
installer program - whose job it is indeed to install, uninstall, repair
- is getting picked up by Windows when you try to run Python in certain
ways - the installer should certainly not be getting associated with .py
files as the way to run them. It might help diagnose how this happens if
you describe what you're doing ("try and open a .py file" doesn't say
enough, how are you trying to open it?)

open a command shell (cmd.exe or powershell) and run your script foo.py
with "py foo.py", assuming you chose to install the Python Launcher,
which you should do if using the Python that comes from python.org.