unable to launch python3.8 -m idlelib.idle

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Dec 25 21:33:31 EST 2020

On 12/25/2020 8:26 PM, stackf... at gmail.com wrote:
> unable to launch python3.8 -m idlelib.idle. getting below error msg. I am new to python. kindly help.

One should include OS with failure questions and perhaps how installed.
  Appears to be macOS, installed with ???

> python3.8 -m idlelib.idle

For 3.x, '.idle' is not needed.

>    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/idlelib/rpc.py", line 73, in <module>
>      class RPCServer(socketserver.TCPServer):
> AttributeError: module 'socketserver' has no attribute 'TCPServer'

https://docs.python.org/3.8/library/socketserver.html#socketserver.TCPServer
It is very much supposed to, so you installation seems faulty.  I am
running IDLE on macOS with 3.8, 3.9, and 3.10, installed with the
python.org installer.

This is one of the few circumstances for which I suggest re-installing.

--
Terry Jan Reedy