Installing Python (2.7) 'by hand' on Ubuntu - possible?

Mirko mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 22 16:12:34 EST 2020

On 22.12.2020 at 20:24 Chris Green wrote:

> Yes, I do have the Python source.  The only thing I don't have the
> source for is a .so file and that's why I can't simply migrate the
> program(s) from Python 2 to Python 3.

If it's just one .so and that library is compatible with basic libs
such as glibc and has no further big dependencies, then there may be
a simpler way than cx_freeze or even snap/docker/etc.

Python 2 will likely be available for quite some more years as an
optional package. But even with a self-compiled version, you should
be able to put the required libraries somewhere and set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or maybe LD_PRELOAD accordingly. For a few depending
libs, this works well, but it gets really nasty if glibc or big
frameworks such as GTK are involved.