Installing Python (2.7) 'by hand' on Ubuntu - possible?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:18:31 EST 2020

On 2020-12-22, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> How realistic/possible would it be to run the utility in a separate
> environment with its own copies of Python2 and any modules and
> libraries needed?  I would install these 'by hand', i.e. not using
> 'apt' so they would stay as installed even as my system gets upgraded.

If you do have it running on a Linux system, then there are tools to
"bundle" it with all the required libraries. The one that I've used
most recently is cx_freeze (I generally use it to create bundles for
Windows):

https://cx-freeze.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

If you want to use it for a 2.7 app, you'd need to use 5.1

--
Grant