How do you find what exceptions a class can throw?

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sun Dec 20 05:39:28 EST 2020

On 20/12/2020 22:39, Chris Green wrote:
> I am using poplib.POP3_SSL() and I want to know what exceptions can be
> thrown when I instantiate it.  Presumably it inherits them because
> there's nothing much in the documentation page for poplib.POP3_SSL().
>
> I specifically want to trap timeout exceptions.
>
> (... and, yes, I know I should maybe move to IMAP but that's too much
> work at the moment!)

This morning, reading the results of the Virtual Python Core Developer
Sprint 2020
(https://pyfound.blogspot.com/2020/12/virtual-python-core-developer-sprint.html)
and from there, PEP 594 -- Removing dead batteries from the standard
library (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0594/), the impression
gained is that the old/existing PSL offerings, eg poplib, are soon to be
deprecated, in favor of asyncio and presumably something like aioimap
(https://pypi.org/project/aioimaplib/).

Async handles with timeouts implicitly.

Apologies for the lack of direct-answer. That's as far as my reading has
taken me. Hopefully someone, more in-the-know, will be able to advise...
--
Regards =dn