Function returns old value

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Dec 18 07:05:26 EST 2020

Am 17.12.20 um 21:22 schrieb Michael F. Stemper:
> On 17/12/2020 03.57, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>> On 2020-12-17 03:06:32 -0000, Bischoop wrote:
>>> pasting from my IDE to vim/slrn was messing syntax,
>>
>> You can
>>
>> :set paste
>>
>> in vim to prevent it from messing with pasted content (don't forget to
>> set nopaste afterwards).
>
> What's the difference between that and
> :set ai
> and
> :set noai
>
>> With newer vims that's rarely necessary though since they can distinguish
>> between input that was pasted and input that was typed.
>
> I thought that I was going nuts when I encountered that. Any idea how to
> defeat such a so-called 'feature"?

Use "gvim" instead of "vim" in a Terminal. The problems arises because
vim in the terminal simply gets the input and "thinks" that you typed
that stuff in, for which it does auto-indenting. gvim, OTOH, doe sthe
pasting by itself. It also has other useful features like menus and
popup-dialogs for searching etc.

	Christian