Fwd: Fwd: How to specify JSON parameters in CallBack?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Dec 13 12:54:20 EST 2020

From: Caleb Gattegno
Date: Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 5:02 PM
Subject: How to specify JSON parameters in CallBack?

Please can you suggest where should I look for advice on converting a old style web app which vends whole pages of html
with a cgi-bin/python script invoked bypython3 server.py, into one that only serves callbacks to this Javascript AJAX
async RPC call:

$('#compute').click(function() {
      $('#poly').val('Waiting...');

      var seq = $('#seq').val();
      console.log(seq);
      $.post('/compute', seq, function(result) {
          $('#poly').val(result.poly);
      }, 'json');
});

I don’t want to touch the html/javascript, but I’d like to update the python cgi code module to respond to the RPC call
in the post by returning a json data structure. Poly is a string of variable length.

Many thanks
gattegnPython