Aw: Re: Python 3 how to convert a list of bytes objects to a list of strings?

Sat Aug 29 15:52:50 EDT 2020

On 8/29/20 3:31 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> However the problem appears to be that internally in Python 3 mailbox
>> class there is an assumption that it's being given 'ascii'.
> Do you really _need_ the mailbox class ? From what you've
> written so far my understanding was that you receive data
> (bytes) and want to append that to a file (which happens
> to be an mbox).
>
> Can't you "just do that" ?
>
> IOW, read the bytes, open the file, dump the bytes, close the file ?
>
> Karsten

Just appending a message as a raw file to a mailbox, doesn't properly
add it as a new message. You need to add a From: line to the front, and
then go through the message and alter any line that begins as "From:"
(and possibly any line that begins with something like ">From:" or
">>From:" depending on which mailbox format is being used. There may be
a few other small details that needs to happen to.

--
Richard Damon