Finding it very difficult to move pyexiv2 code from Python 2 to Python 3

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Aug 19 17:59:33 EDT 2020

On 19Aug2020 08:53, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>I have quite a lot of things installed with pip, however I've never
>had this problem with dependencies before.  Adding to the fun is that
>my system has still got Python 2 as the default Python so I have to
>run pip3 explicitly to get Python 3 code.

My approach to this is to have a personal venv based on a modern Python3
and put its bin near the front of my $PATH. The pip and python come from
it. But I tend to type "pip3" anyway - still the pip from my venv.

>Maybe I should bite the bullet and make Python 3 the default Python
>and see what falls over as a consequence.

Don't change the system default Python - many system scripts rely on
that and may break. If an OS update changes it, it should also update
all the dependent scripts and so be ok, but an ad hoc change of only
part of the system is asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>