Final statement from Steering Council on politically-charged commit messages

Tim Daneliuk info at tundraware.com
Wed Aug 19 15:47:08 EDT 2020

On 8/19/20 1:10 PM, J. Pic wrote:
> Tim, don't you also think that statements should be backed by
> evidence, even more if they are particularly accusatory ?
>
> We'll be lucky if S&W's editor doesn't sue the PSF for slandering for
> publishing that S&W "upholds white supremacy".

As a general matter, I agree: Claims should be supported by evidence.
But that's not the problem here.  The various cause crusaders are
attempting to insert themselves into every single discipline.  They
do this claiming their attacks as some kind of moral virtue and that
they are therefore above reproach or counterpoint.  It is natural
for people who disagree to punch back.

My real point in commenting at all was that we open this one-sided door
at our own peril. By allowing provocative commentary of the sort voice
in this godforsaken commit message, we absolutely invite others to the party.
Despite what the aforementioned cause crusaders think, they are not
unassailable, nor are they the only- or dominant voice in these matters.
Open this door and you get an absolute sewer of commentary
(from many sides of these issues).  Social media is full of many trenchant
such examples.  Best to leave it there.