Finding it very difficult to move pyexiv2 code from Python 2 to Python 3

Vincent Vande Vyvre vincent.vande.vyvre at telenet.be
Tue Aug 18 15:05:20 EDT 2020

Le 18/08/20 à 19:22, Chris Green a écrit :
> I have a fairly simple Python program that I wrote a while ago in
> Python 2 that transfers images from my camera to a date ordered
> directory hierarchy on my computer.
>
> I am trying to get it to work on Python 3 as I have just upgraded to
> Ubuntu 20.04 and on that Python 3 is now the default version of Python.
>
> I seem to be descending into a horrible morass of dependencies (or
> failed dependencies) when I try to install pyexiv2 (pr py3exiv2) using
> pip3.
>
> Can anyone point me at anywhere that might have some documentation
> that will help?
>
> The first problem (it might be the whole problem, I'm not sure) is
> which 'pyexiv2' I should be installing, there seem to be several
> apparently competing versions and it's not at all clear which is the
> most likely to work.  On pypi there's py3exiv2 and pyexiv2 both of
> which claim to be for Python 3.  On the http://py3exiv2.tuxfamily.org/
> page it states: "py3exiv2 is the Python 3 version of pyexiv2 written
> for Python 2, ...", really! no wonder I'm confused.
>
> Essentially I need the python-pyexiv2 package for Ubuntu 20.04 and
> it's only available up to 19.10.

Hi,

Two solutions:
1. Install exiv2-dev and py3exiv2 with pip
    $ sudo apt-get install libexiv2-dev
    $ sudo pip3 install py3exiv2

2. Install my ppa
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vincent-vandevyvre/vvv
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install python3-exiv2

Don't change your old code for pyexiv2, the names of the modules are
unchanged, your old code should work as it.

Off course old strings are now unicode.

Vincent (AKA VinsS)