Unable to save any files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 11 22:35:11 EDT 2020

On 8/11/2020 5:27 AM, Lim Clayton wrote:

> I am a relatively new Python User. I recently downloaded Python on my
> desktop and I am unable to save anything when I use IDLE. I can run codes
> on the shell without any issue but running anything on the window which
> requires saving causes nothing to happen. I still get the prompt which says
> you need to save before the code can be run but nothing happens when I
> press Ok. I am using Windows 10 and I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling. Any advice?

There are two possible reasons in 3.8.4 and 3.9.0b4 - non-ascii
characters and files created outside of IDLE.  Non-ascii chars was fixed
in 3.8.5 and 3.9.0b5.  Files created outside of IDLE work in 3.8.6, due
in September and 3.9.0rc1, released today.  If you do not need 3rd party
modules, use the latter.  If you do, create new files within IDLE with
File=> New.

--
Terry Jan Reedy