IDLE: New Feature?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 11 15:50:58 EDT 2020

On 8/11/2020 4:26 AM, Steve wrote:
> << Simplest specification:
> << one list for all 3 search boxes;
> << start fresh each session
>
> I do not understand what this means...

A proposed feature needs a specification with sufficient details to code
and review.  Your proposal "a pull-down history list for Find' is too
general."  This is typical of proposals, especially for IDLE it seems.

Should there be a list only for Find and not for Find/Replace and Find
in Files?  Makes no sense.  A separate list for each?  What if you start
with Find and then realize you want to replace?  Or find in the current
file and realize that you want to find in multiple files.  I would want
one list so I could transfer search terms.  (Another solution would be
to link the boxes so one can transfer directly.)

How long is history kept?  Forever across sessions, or just for one
session?  The latter is much easier.

--
Terry Jan Reedy