Any ideas for a new language inspired to Python?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:27:01 EDT 2020

On 2020-08-09, Marco Sulla <Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 at 10:31, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

>> By going to C you are really saying you want to use the native
>> instructions of your CPU.  Contrast that with bytecode that needs
>> an interpreter.
>
> This is also an answer for Grant Edwards: the idea was to generate
> bytecode and compile it to machine code.

Right.  I was just pointing out that you said you wanted to do "static
compilation", and then provided an small example that demonstrated
something unrelated[1] (static typing).  If you want to design a
language that has static typing, that's fine.  If you want to
implement that language using static compilation, that's fine.  You
can have both if you want.  But, they are two independent concepts,
and you're going to confuse people if you use them interchangeably.

[1] Though in theory they are orthogonal, in practice certain
combinations of static compilation vs. bytecode+VM and static
vs. dynamic typing are harder to implement than others.

--
Grant