How explain why Python is easier/nicer than Lisp which has a simpler grammar/syntax?

Marco Sulla Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:55:49 EDT 2020

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 at 00:28, Richard Damon <Richard at damon-family.org> wrote:
> The really interesting part is that since Lisp programs manipulate lists
> as data, and the program is just a list, Lisp programs have the
> theoretical ability to edit themselves (assuming the implementation give
> access to the list of the program to the program).

This is a bit hard to understand for me.
I know that code can be translated to an AST, that is a tree. It's
quite difficult for me to imagine the code organized as a list. Do you
have some links about it?

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 at 00:28, Richard Damon <Richard at damon-family.org> wrote:
> One advantage of blurring the line between statements and expressions is
> power, putting assignments in the middle of an expression, can allow
> code to be more compact.

I agree with you. I experimented a little with CPython code and I saw
assignments inside if statements. The code without them was less
readable. I also found this example:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/151920/1763602
My only fear is the abuse. How many people really use the walrus
operator to render the code more readable? My fear is that the
majority of programmer will use it for laziness and because it's
"cool" ^^