How explain why Python is easier/nicer than Lisp which has a simpler grammar/syntax?

Marco Sulla Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:54:35 EDT 2020

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 19:48, Richard Damon <Richard at damon-family.org> wrote:
> The difference is that the two languages define 'expression' differently. [...]

I don't know if this is interesting or pertinent to the topic.

Christian Seberino just expressed a doubt about how a clear separation
between a statement and an expression is quite desiderable in the
"real" programming world. And I tried to explain it with the
assignment operation, since a ton of programmers feel very frustrated
about reading code of other programmers with assignment in an if
statement. I'm quite sure that they thought, as I thought: "What do
this?"
Worse when their program failed and they discovered that they wrote
`if (a=b)` instead of `if (a==b)`.

I'm just more curious about why Lisp programmers think that it's
better to not make a hard distinction between statements and
expressions.