How explain why Python is easier/nicer than Lisp which has a simpler grammar/syntax?

Wyatt Biggs wyatt.biggs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:43:06 EDT 2020

> It's also probably significantly slower, so you'd likely still want to
> use the iterative version

Generalizing this to the majority of recursive functions/methods, are their
iterative counterparts more efficient? (I say "majority of" because I've
personally encountered one or two recursive functions/methods that were
either very difficult for me to translate to iteration or just not possible
with my skill level at the time)

> It is related to the old saying "If all you have is a hammer, then
> everything looks like a nail".

Using this saying in the context of programming languages is extremely
accurate! Because Python can be object oriented or data oriented, it is a
large toolbox capable of tackling an even larger set of problems quite
simply.

I've never personally used Lisp, but I have used Java a bit. Even just the
strict object-oriented nature of Java was fairly cumbersome. The freedom,
fluidity, and the dynamic nature of Python are the reasons it's my
preferred language.

For just a moment, allow me to abstract this argument to include languages
other than Lisp I'm better versed in. Older languages, like Java and C,
required explicit typing for their variables, explicit output types for
their methods, and semicolons and brackets instead of utilized whitespace.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this system was primarily for saving
memory because computers were far less powerful when these languages were
born. Python, being a relatively young language, is free from these
shackles and was built to run on more modern computers where bits and bytes
are not a common constraint.

That said, if I were to ever design a software I planned on sharing, I
would write it in one of the more space-friendly languages.

Thank y'all for the great reading about Lisp vs Python and letting me get
very off-topic.

Best,
Wyatt Biggs