questions re: calendar module

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Sun Aug 2 08:04:06 EDT 2020

On 2020-08-02 at 06:26:10 -0500,
o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:33 PM dn via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> > The fact that some months have fewer, or more, weeks to include, is
> > largely irrelevant. The solution is a standard "merge" algorithm. (us
> > 'silver surfers' cut our teeth on sorting, searching, and merging as the
> > three pillars of "batch processing").
>
> The differences become very relevant for formatting. A month that has
> 4 weeks takes a different amount of vertical space than a month that
> has 6 weeks.

Back in high school, we wrote a FORTRAN program to multiply matrixes,
which wasn't too bad, because our FORTRAN library came with a matrix
multiplier.  The real problem was formatting the output.  In FORTRAN.
With crude "graphics" (made from plus signs, minus signs, and upper case
"I"s) for the matrix brackets.  And the multiplication and equality
operators were supposed to be vertically centered in a horizontally
oriented equation.  Don't forget, matrix multiplication usually involves
three differently shaped matrixes.  The equation with the green check
mark on https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-multiplying.html is a
reasonable facsimile of what our output was supposed to look like.