questions re: calendar module

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sun Aug 2 00:45:28 EDT 2020

On 02/08/2020 12:42, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:24 PM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:29 PM dn via Python-list
>> <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> Doing some searching - - - - sub-class really doesn't have a lot of 'official'
> info. Perhaps an information source might be pointed out?

You're further along that path than I!

Sometimes the authors maintain an helpful web site/page, but I don't know.

> Reading through more docs there is a possibility of using the 'format'
> command. Would need to first come up with a way of describing the
> months (with their attendant week numbers) and then describe a
> formating system which would then enable a use of 'print' to achieve
> the desired goal.
>
> Is this perhaps a good way of doing this?

Outlined earlier.

Question: what is the specification for 'first month' and 'last month'
in the calendar?

i) year-based: eg from 2020-2023, represents 48 months starting from Jan
2020 and continuing until Dec 2023 (inclusive).

ii) month-based: there is no need to 'start' with January, or to finish
in December, eg 2020-08 -> 2023-07

iii) week-based: (included because of evident import in your thinking),
eg 2020-W26 -> 2023W25
- watch out for leap years!

The last introduces the (very inconvenient) possibility of the first or
last month being an incomplete 4~6 week 'block' and thus perhaps
doubling the complexity of the "merge". However, it may be more
convenient to translate weekNR into monthNR (and thus, name) than the
reverse.
(that's a question? not statement!)
--
Regards =dn