What user-defined request error levels are recommended?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Apr 30 16:35:02 EDT 2020

On Apr 30, 2020, at 15:14, Dan Campbell <dcwhatthe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, what range of error codes are recommended, if we wanted to return a user-defined code?
>
> Obviously, we don't want to use a code in the 200+ range, or the 400+ range, e.g.
>
> I want to throw, or just return, a code that represents that the size of a web page (len(response.content)) is less than the expected size.

You can create your own internal codes as long as they don’t clash with the standard code. If the custom code is for a success, a 2xx code would be appropriate. If it is a user error, you could use a 4xx code.

However, I would prefer to use the standard codes, and add a custom header with more information on the issue.

-- Ed Leafe