SSL Certificate Verify Failed (_ssl.c:600) using Windows Server 2019

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Apr 30 14:00:33 EDT 2020

separated wrote at 2020-4-29 21:11 +0000:
>I just bought a rdp from someone and try to install python in order to running youtube-dl but when I just run a simple youtube-dl command like 'youtube-dl [youtube video url]' it got me this message :
>
>ERROR: Unable to download webpage: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:600)> (caused by URLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:600)'),))

Either the ssl certificate provided by the server is invalid
or Python lacks the necessary CA (= "Certificate Authority") root
certificates for its verification.

I would use a browser to access the url and see what it says
about the used certificate.

Python typically uses the same certificates also used by
browsers. I do not know Windows and cannot tell you where those
certificates are located and how to add additional root certificates.