news.bbs.nz is spewing duplicates to comp.lang.python

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:15:10 EDT 2020

> This just arrived at my newserver:

> I find that very curious because the post is mine but which I
> sent out with these headers:

> The timezone on the date header has changed, the subject has been
> truncated, the Path and injection info is all different, and most
> crucially, the MESSAGE-ID and REFERENCES are completely bogus.

This news server has caused a number of problems. I think the Python
postmasters have squelched anything coming through mail.python.org
which involves bbs.nz. Most recently, in response to your message, a
filter was added to the gate_news program which drops any messages
from the Usenet world involving "bbs.nz". I'm not sure it will help if
you live solely on the news side of things, though perhaps it will
keep loops between mail and news from developing. I would imagine that
borking the Message-ID header would be one way to generate message
loops.

Skip