"pip" error message

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue Apr 21 07:38:05 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-21 12:02 PM, Simone Bravin wrote:

> I found that I had downloaded Python from what I would call "automatic
> check version link" and that downloaded the 32-bit version, but my
> notebook have 64-bit, so I changed the version to the 64-bit one.

I have had the same problem in the past. Most software download pages
seem to detect whether you are running 32 or 64 bit, and default to the
correct download option.

Python shows a big yellow 'Download the latest version for Windows'
button, which most people will select by default. However, it actually
downloads the 32 bit version, without any indication that this is what
it is doing.

I could have the details wrong - I am not going to repeat the install
just to check. But this is what I recall from the last time I did this.

This seems like a good time to bring this up, as in another thread we
are discussing how to improve the download experience on Windows for
newbies.

Frank Millman