print small DataFrame to STDOUT and read it back into dataframe

Reto reto at labrat.space
Mon Apr 6 04:08:13 EDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 07:00:23PM -0400, Luca wrote:
> dframe.to_string
>
> gives:
>
> <bound method DataFrame.to_string of     A   B   C   D
> 0  a0  b0  c0  d0
> 1  a1  b1  c1  d1
> 2  a2  b2  c2  d2
> 3  a3  b3  c3  d3>

That's not the output of to_string.
to_string is a method, not an attribute which is apparent by the

> <bound method DataFrame.to_string <repr>

comment in your output.
You need to call it with parenthesis like `dframe.to_string()`

> Can I evaluate this string to obtain a new dataframe like the one that
> generated it?

As for re-importing, serialize the frame to something sensible first.
There are several options available, csv, json, html... Take your pick.

You can find all those in the dframe.to_$something namespace
(again, those are methods, make sure to call them).

Import it again with pandas.read_$something, choosing the same serialization format
you picked for the output in the first place.

Does this help?

Cheers,
Reto