A PDF journey to find all python PDF

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:16:01 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-04, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/20 9:08 AM, anson freer wrote:
>> Thanks, I'll check them out.
>> tutor sent "The reason it is being held:
>>
>>     Post by non-member to a members-only list".
>>
>> could I be on both lists? I did unsubscribe
>
> Yes you can subscribe to both lists of course. But you have to subscribe
> to each list individually.  Always be sure to post to a list from the
> same email address that you signed up.
>
>> I am trying learn how to use a PDF text editor
>
> Okay, but what is your goal and purpose? What problem are you trying
> to solve.  If you just want to edit a PDF file, I can think of far
> easier methods than using any Python module. For example LibreOffice
> can import and edit PDFs using the Draw component.

The only real interactive PDF editor I know of for Linux is PDFStudio:

  https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/

I've been using it for many years, and can recommed it highly.  It's
got nothing to do with Python though.

If you want command-line stuff, there's pdf toolkit:

  https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-text/pdftk

If, OTOH, you want to programmatically generate PDF from Python,
that's something entirely different.  I'd look at

Reportlab  https://www.reportlab.com/opensource/
pyfpdf     https://pyfpdf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#fpdf-for-python
pypdf      https://pythonhosted.org/PyPDF2/

--