questions:

Wed Apr 1 17:12:05 EDT 2020

On 2/04/20 6:49 AM, anson freer wrote:
> Will Anaconda2, Python2, jupyter and many applications I have for python
> harm the 3.8.2?
> should I be in Python Tutor and in this one(current email)at the same time?
> Or is it one or the other not both
> I want to learn how to use PDF to read files that have racing form style
> forms(my hobbie is Horse handicapping)
> I know I need to"get" the correct modules.(trial an error)but I don't know
> all the correct terms yet
> Be kind I'm in my 80's bu t age is just a number my brain thinks like a
> teen my body refuses to listen.

Welcome to the Python community!

(To my knowledge/I am not ListAdmin) Someone may *belong* to both lists
(and more). If not, you'll be able to light your cigar from me, as we
both go-down-in-flames...

*However,* posting the same question to both lists concurrently will not
win you any friends! For 'beginner level' questions I recommend the
Tutor list (per its stated objectives). That said, people do try to be
helpful... and us 'silver surfers' need to stick-together (well,
2-meters apart, together)

I'm not sure what you mean by "harm the 3.8.2". Is that the Python which
your OpSys needs to operate?

The "pythonic" way to separate multiple Python environments is "virtual
environments" (aka venv).

Because it is incumbent upon me to maintain client safety and security,
I use separate Virtual Machines for each client/project. This is not
typical.

The Anaconda system is well-regarded as a convenient entry into the
Python eco-system. It is designed to be self-contained and to avoid
'tainting' the underlying OpSys. They also try to 'shield' users from
unfortunate gaffes and 'gotchas' in facilitating adding libraries from
their own sources by providing their own mechanisms. Accordingly, it has
a lot going for it - be aware of their 'freemium' business model.

There are a few Python libraries to read .PDF files. The 'problem' is
that sometimes .PDF 'pages' are actually graphics, ie a
photograph/photo-copy of the ink-squiggles on an original page; and
sometimes they contain text which has been nicely formatted for
(printed) presentation. The latter are considerably easier to access.
Graphics must be interpreted using an OCR process (Optical Character
Recognition), and that will make life considerably more complicated.

Take things slowly. Don't try to 'bite-off more than you can chew'.
There are a number of good tutorials in book form, and on-line lectures
which will help you to learn Python and pick-up the terminology. Such is
a perennial question, answered many times on the Tutor discussion list
and therefore accessible through those archives!

Web.Refs:
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/venv.html
https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/

--