TechRepublicDEVELOPERCXO JPMorgan's Athena has 35 million lines of Python code, and won't be updated to Python 3 in time

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 14 11:46:50 EDT 2019

On 9/14/2019 4:37 AM, Larry Martell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:37 PM Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/jpmorgans-athena-has-35-million-lines-of-python-code-and-wont-be-updated-to-python-3-in-time/
>>
>> I doubt this is unusual, and presume JP Morgan is big enough to handle
>> the change of status, either by managing security releases in-house or
>> relying on third-party releases (say, Anaconda). When I retired from
>> Citadel recently, most Python was still 2.7 (though the group I worked
>> in was well on the way to converting to 3.x, and no new applications
>> were written against 2.7). Bank of America has an enterprise-wide
>> system called Quartz. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still running
>> Python 2.7 (though I don't know for sure).

> Yes Quartz is 2.7. As I’ve said before here, I know a lot of companies
> running large apps in 2.7 and they have no intention of moving to 3.

This is not JPMorgan.  From the article "JPMorgan's roadmap puts "most
strategic components" compatible with Python 3 by the end of Q1
2020—that is, three months after the end of security patches—with "all
legacy Python 2.7 components" planned for compatibility with Python 3 by
Q4 2020."  So they must be working on it now.

The 'end of Q1 2020' is about when the final release, 2.7.18, will be
and Q3 2020 is about when the next release, 2.7.19 would be if we did
not stop free support.

As far as core developers are concerned, risk judgements are the
business of private businesses and some of us anticipate 2.7 being used
for at least another decade.  We *have* nudged some library developers a
bit, especially in the scientific stack, especially numpy and scipy,to
release 3.x versions so that new code can be written in 3.x.

--
Terry Jan Reedy