TechRepublicDEVELOPERCXO JPMorgan's Athena has 35 million lines of Python code, and won't be updated to Python 3 in time

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Sep 14 08:30:06 EDT 2019

On Saturday 14 September 2019 04:37:14 Larry Martell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:37 PM Skip Montanaro
> <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/jpmorgans-athena-has
> >-35-million-lines-of-python-code-and-wont-be-updated-to-python-3-in-t
> >ime/
> >
> > I doubt this is unusual, and presume JP Morgan is big enough to
> > handle the change of status, either by managing security releases
> > in-house or relying on third-party releases (say, Anaconda). When I
> > retired from Citadel recently, most Python was still 2.7 (though the
> > group I worked in was well on the way to converting to 3.x, and no
> > new applications were written against 2.7). Bank of America has an
> > enterprise-wide system called Quartz. I wouldn't be surprised if it
> > was still running Python 2.7 (though I don't know for sure).
>
> Yes Quartz is 2.7. As I’ve said before here, I know a lot of companies
> running large apps in 2.7 and they have no intention of moving to 3.

And I, Larry, have little doubt that the hackers have a hole into a 2.7
install, all squirreled away, and waiting until 2.7 security support
goes away. It's the nature of the thing.

They will get hacked.  Its like asking if concrete will crack as you are
watching it being poured, will is the wrong question, when is far more
correct.

And it will cost them trillions in the long haul. The courts,
adjudicating damages, will not be kind to the foot dragger's who think
they are saving money.  History sure seems to be pointing in that
direction recently.

Its a puzzle to me, why so-called sane MBA's cannot understand that the
best defense is spending money on the offense by updateing their
in-house operating code. Or the OS under it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis