TechRepublicDEVELOPERCXO JPMorgan's Athena has 35 million lines of Python code, and won't be updated to Python 3 in time

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 08:37:14 EDT 2019

> https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/jpmorgans-athena-has-35-million-lines-of-python-code-and-wont-be-updated-to-python-3-in-time/

I doubt this is unusual, and presume JP Morgan is big enough to handle
the change of status, either by managing security releases in-house or
relying on third-party releases (say, Anaconda). When I retired from
Citadel recently, most Python was still 2.7 (though the group I worked
in was well on the way to converting to 3.x, and no new applications
were written against 2.7). Bank of America has an enterprise-wide
system called Quartz. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still running
Python 2.7 (though I don't know for sure).

Skip