[OT(?)] Ubuntu 18 now defaults to 4-space tabs

Tobiah toby at tobiah.org
Mon Sep 9 13:23:57 EDT 2019

We upgraded a server to 18.04 and now when I start typing
a python file (seems to be triggered by the .py extension)
the tabs default to 4 spaces.  We have decades of code that
use tab characters, and it has not been our intention to
change that.

I found a /usr/share/vim/vim80/indent/python.vim and tried
moving it out of the way, but the behavior was still there.

This is more of a vim question perhaps, but I'm already
subscribed here and I figured someone would know what
to do.

Thanks!