issue in handling CSV data

Sharan Basappa sharan.basappa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 20:19:36 EDT 2019

I am trying to read a log file that is in CSV format.

The code snippet is below:

###############################
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import seaborn as sns; sns.set()
import numpy as np
import pandas as pd
import os
import csv
from numpy import genfromtxt

# read the CSV and get into X array
os.chdir(r'D:\Users\sharanb\OneDrive - HCL Technologies Ltd\Projects\MyBackup\Projects\Initiatives\machine learning\programs\constraints')
X = []
#with open("constraints.csv", 'rb') as csvfile:
#    reader = csv.reader(csvfile)
#    data_as_list = list(reader)
#myarray = np.asarray(data_as_list)

my_data = genfromtxt('constraints.csv', delimiter = ',', dtype=None)
print (my_data)

my_data_1 = np.delete(my_data, 0, axis=1)
print (my_data_1)

my_data_2 = np.delete(my_data_1, 0, axis=1)
print (my_data_2)

my_data_3 = my_data_2.astype(np.float)
################################

Here is how print (my_data_2) looks like:
##############################
[['"\t"81' '"\t5c']
 ['"\t"04' '"\t11']
 ['"\t"e1' '"\t17']
 ['"\t"6a' '"\t6c']
 ['"\t"53' '"\t69']
 ['"\t"98' '"\t87']
 ['"\t"5c' '"\t4b']

Finally, I am trying to get rid of the strings and get array of numbers using Numpy's astype function. At this stage, I get an error.

This is the error:
my_data_3 = my_data_2.astype(np.float)
could not convert string to float: " "81

As you can see, the string "\t"81 is causing the error.
It seems to be due to char "\t".

I don't know how to resolve this.

Thanks for your help.