Hi how do I import files inside a txt file?

Mon Sep 2 14:02:58 EDT 2019

On 3/09/19 1:48 AM, Spencer Du wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2019 15:29:07 UTC+2, Joel Goldstick  wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a txt file which contains the names of files. They are .py files. I want to import them into a python file if they exists in current directory and if the name of file does not exist then print out error and not import. How do I do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Spencer
>>
>> Here is a discussion on Stack overflow that lays out how you can
>> dynamically import files.  This should get you started in the right
>> direction.  First, see if you can write code to read the file, and
>> retrieve the names of the modules you want to import.   Come back if
>> you stumble with your code for that
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/301134/how-to-import-a-module-given-its-name-as-string
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Joel Goldstick
>> http://joelgoldstick.com/blog
>> http://cc-baseballstats.info/stats/birthdays
>
> Ok I have this code to retrieve the names of modules I want to import. Now how do I check if they exist in current directory and if they exist import them into the python program. Thanks.
>
> with open("list_of_devices.txt", "r") as f:
> 	for item in f:
> 		print(item)

Perhaps it is time to slow-down and take a breather?

The answer to this step has already been covered in this thread!

Many languages require one to *anticipate* every contingency - anything
that could go 'wrong'. For example, that a file does not exist and
cannot be imported.

However, Python follows a philosophy that it is "easier to ask
forgiveness than it is to get permission"*. In other words, to use the
try...except construct - in this case, to attempt an import (the "try")
and if that fails (probably because the file does not exist) then to
defend/react accordingly (the "except" - "except" = "exception").

In other words, only worry about 'the problem' (post fact), should it
arise. This works quite neatly for your use-case.

Such is what is called "a Python idiom" - the way things are done in
Python (which may be fundamentally different from other programming
language(s) you use). It is a mistake to attempt to 'translate' from one
programming language into another merely by replacing one "syntax" with
the other. For example a Python for-loop is actually a 'foreach'
construct and thus not the same as the C/C++, FORTRAN, BASIC, etc, etc,
for-loop - no matter what the words say! Learning (and absorbing) idioms
and language philosophies is what separates better programmers from the
mediocre!

Are you taking the time to research? Have you reviewed the Python docs*?

If you must check for the presence of a file, entering "python file
exists" into a search engine produces numbers of 'hits'!

The hard way (the syntax-only 'translation', and non-Pythonic approach),
is that the PSL offers "11.2. os.path — Common pathname manipulations"*

* WebRefs:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper
https://docs.python.org/3.6/index.html [adjust versionNR to suit]
https://stackabuse.com/python-check-if-a-file-or-directory-exists/