Trouble trying to get started with pygame

originallmoney at gmail.com originallmoney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 23:47:01 EDT 2019

It's been years since I've done anything with Python, and it wasn't a language I was terribly familiar with even then. I'm using Python 3.8 on my Windows 7 laptop. Python itself works so far as I can tell. I can get it to import pip without problems, but, when I try to get going with pygame, I hit a roadblock.

I have pygame 1.9.6.tar.gz. Apparently, I don't have the means of unzipping it, yet, I think I've seen things on other forums suggesting that Python can do that for me. Is that true?

I've been trying to use "pip install" (Written just like that, minus the quotes, of course), yet, it tells me that's a syntax error.

Is there a way of inputting this that I'm not aware of? I've seen various versions of people calling the command, with things like "pip.install" or "-m pip install -U pygame -user" or something like that, are THOSE what I should be trying or...am I completely off-base right now?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm losing patience with it at the moment.