Artifact repository?

Eli the Bearded * at eli.users.panix.com
Thu Oct 31 17:13:07 EDT 2019

In comp.lang.python, Paul Rubin  <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> writes:
>> By an Artifact Repository, I mean something that can version largish
>> binaries that are mostly produced by a build process.
> I'm not familiar with the term "artifact repository" and hadn't heard of
> the ones you mentioned, but have you looked at git-annex ?

Git-annex solves a different problem.

Use git-annex for the problem of "revision control with git for binary
files not suitable for normal git storage".

Use Artifactory for the problem of "store the binary product of source
code at a particular revision point".

They are kinda related, but: git doesn't magically know that when you
update foo.c that lib/libfoo.a linked into bin/projectfoo are now
obsolete. Artifactory, doesn't either, but it doesn't slide files
forward to new revisions the way git would unless you specifically
replace or delete them.

After you `make` your code, you can `make archive` (or whatever) to
copy the compiled results to your artifact repository and your deploy
code elsewhere can look to the artifact repository to get "latest" or
a specific revision.

git-annex is good for things like images used in a project that you do
want to automatically persist into the next revision. Say if you have
screenshots in your documentation and want the next `make pdfs` to
have access to them. Or if you have a blog in source code control.

Elijah
------
the cheapest artifact repository is a webserver with zips / tars