How can i stop this Infinite While Loop - Python

ferzan saglam ferzans97 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 07:55:15 EDT 2019

I have tried many ways to stop the infinite loop but my program doesn't seem to stop after 10 items! It keeps going...!)

---------------------------
total = 0
while True:

  print('Cost of item')
  item = input()

  if item != -1:
    total += int(item)
  else:
    break

print(total)

The output I am aiming for is for the code to stop asking 'Cost of item' after 10 inputs or until -1 is typed, but the code repeats itself on an infinite loop. I cannot seem to stop the infinite loop.

Thanks for any help in advance.