keying by identity in dict and set

Steve White stevan.white at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 01:35:01 EDT 2019

Regarding my question
     "Is there some fatal reason that this approach must never be
used, besides the lack of documentary support for it?"
If finally dawned on me that there is a use-case for containers that
would preclude using object identity for keys.  That is, if the object
is to be serialized, or otherwise stored past the run-time of the
program.  Of course, all the identities (all the id() values) will be
meaningless once the current run ends.

That is not my use-case, however.  My containers are already stored by
completely different means.

As to my other questions, I am now fairly convinced that, at least in
CPython and PyPy, on both 32 bit and 64 bit machines, it is safe to
assume that __eq__() is never called if __hash__() returns id(), and
that this results in a perfect hash.  It works splendidly.  That leads
me to the problem of the documentation.

I hope to pursue a change in the documentation, at least to provide a
little more explanation of the reason for the requirements of
__hash__() and __eq__().   I would like to first discuss it with
somebody who understands the history and internals of Python, to make
sure I have all my facts straight.

Cheers!