keying by identity in dict and set

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sun Oct 20 11:14:02 EDT 2019

Steve White wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Yes, I am aware of the hash of small integers.  But I am not keying
> with small integers here: I am keying with id() values of class
> instances.

The id() values /are/ smallish integers though.

(I would guess that this is baked into the CPython source, but did not
actually check.)

> Precisely what my example shows is that the dict/set algorithms in
> fact *never* call __eq__, when the id() of a class instance is
> returned by __hash__ (in the implementations of Python I have tested).
> Please try the code yourself.  Tell me what I am missing.

I'd state that a bit differently:

(0) Key objects in dicts/sets are only compared if they have the same hash
value.

The comparison works in two steps:

(1) Are both objects the same (a is b --> True)? Then assume they are equal.

(2) Are they different objects (a is b --> False)? Take the slow path and
actually invoke __eq__

With a sufficiently weird equality:

>>> class A:
...     def __eq__(self, other): return False
>>> items = [a]
>>> a in items
True
>>> [v for v in items if v == a]
[]

As you can see the hash is not involved (not even defined).