Convert a scientific notation to decimal number, and still keeping the data format as float64

doganadres at gmail.com doganadres at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 12:17:21 EDT 2019

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 5:53:24 PM UTC+3, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 10/18/19 9:45 AM, doganadres at gmail.com wrote:

> >> The 'e' is only part of the string representation presentation of the
> >> value. By default, python decides to present small numbers in
> >> exponential format.  If you don't like that, when you print the numbers
> >> specify the format YOU want, rather than taking the default.
> >>
> >> Note, that print() by necessity converts an objects value to a string,
> >> and this conversion for floats uses exponential notation by default for
> >> small numbers. If you don't like it, then use an explicit format for the
> >> conversion.
> >>
> >> An alternative might be to change from using a float64 to making it
> >> something like a Decimal.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Damon
> >
> > By taking the default OUTPUT of a numpy formula, in my case standart deviation, I am using the advantage of saving the result into an excel file without any problems.(they come as numpy.float64) From there, The excel takes all the things as they are and some of my small numbers are shown with the 'e' on the excel sheet. Which I am trying to avoid.
> >
> > I don't need 100 numbers after the comma. What I need is a reasonable amount of decimal numbers to show that the number is small enough, also keeping them in float64, in my case to save them into excel file. One important thing to say is that, if I convert them into string and save them on excel they come with 'dot' instead of comma. And If try to translate the 'dot' manually into 'comma' the excel gives warning message to turn those inputs into numbers. Which I also avoid.
> >
> > If this is Python default, showing all numbers smaller than 0.0001 with 'e' and there is no way to have them in both a human readable and excel savable form.
> >
> > what sould I do?
> >
> > Should I consider using another programming language?
> >
> > If yes, then this language could be callable from within python and I might do things I can.
>
> The problem is you are thinking of your floating point number as storing
> something like 5e-5 or 0.00005, it doesn't. it store something more like
> 1.6384 x 2**15 (or some really big 50 some bit integer time a different
> power of 2). As your words said, it SHOWS it with an e, but that isn't
> what is in the number. The number is just a number represented as a float.
>
> If you don't what to print them with the e, then format them when you
> print to be the way you want.
>
> As to the excel, you aren't being very clear about how you are
> generating the excel file. If you are directly generating an .xls file,
> then I believe you want to store the float64 value directly into it, and
> their is no dot/comma as the decimal separator issue. More like it
> seems, you are generating a 'CSV' file, which is a textual
> representation, and if you are doing that then you need to be careful to
> follow the rules for the CSV format you are using (and if you are using
> [...]

Richard,

as a note: the method I was using to save on excel is by using pandas.

But more importantly , I have decided to take the default formats as they are. In that situation the representation of the numbers on excel remains with 'e' which is now ok, as long as I can do further calculations with them.

In the meanwhile I have checked Scala , and it's more limited then Python.
As an example:
0.0001
1.0E-4: Double

thank you Richard and Chris for sharing knowledge. and I hope to meet you in a another problem.