Instantiating sub-class from super

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Oct 16 16:43:12 EDT 2019

> On 14 Oct 2019, at 21:55, DL Neil via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>
> Is there a technique or pattern for taking a (partially-) populated instance of a class, and re-creating it as an instance of one of its sub-classes?

The pattern I know is to use a factory function to choose between a number of concrete classes based on some information.

In this case it seems that after collecting enough information you could create such a class.

The other thought is to have the classes support a method that returns a "better" class.

	x.setProp(...)
	x = x.upgradeInstance()

I have seen code that messes around with __class__ but I think that its a maintenance issue to do that.
Apart from the person who writes that code would have a clue what it's doing.

Barry