upgrading python on raspbian

Cousin Stanley HooDunnit at didly42KahZidly.net
Wed Oct 16 10:20:38 EDT 2019

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Continueing this thread, I now have a missing function by name, "units",
> that is preventing LinuxCNC from running.
>
> Where in the python 3 world do I find that function?,

  Under debian buster there is a python 2 package
  called  python-quantities  that apparently
  deals with units via numpy dependencies.

  $ apt-cache show python-quantities
  Package: python-quantities
  Version: 0.12.1-1
  Section: python
  Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
              <debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>
  Installed-Size: 358 kB
  Depends: python (<< 2.8), python (>= 2.7), python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~),
           python-numpy
  Suggests: python-unittest2

  Description-en: Library for computation of physical quantities
  with units, based on numpy  Quantities is designed to handle
  arithmetic and conversions of physical quantities, which have
  a magnitude, dimensionality specified by various units,
  and possibly an uncertainty.  Quantities builds on
  the popular numpy library and is designed to work with
  numpy ufuncs, many of which are already supported.

  Also ....

  $ apt-files list python-quantities

  Shows a  units  sub-directory under /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
  with several individual modules such as force, length, mass, pressue,
  temperature, etc.

  Seems to be also available throug the python package index ....

    https://pypi.org/project/quantities/

    $ pip install quantities

  I have  no  personal expeience with this package.

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being