upgrading python on raspbian

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Oct 15 01:30:59 EDT 2019

On Monday 14 October 2019 12:56:22 Gene Heskett wrote:

Continueing this thread, I now have a missing function by name, "units",
that is preventing LinuxCNC from running.

Where in the python 3 world do I find that function?, which in this case
controls what it is fed on to a pyvcp display according to a logic
signal that tells it whether the machine is in inches mode, or mm mode?

Its in some of the gingerbread video code I do in the after postgui.hal
file, that takes the number of degrees that the spindle has overshot the
stop and reverse command due to the inertia of a 50 lb chuck, and
converts that into either inches or mm's of carriage (z axis)
overtravel, so I can subtract that when I am tapping a hole, and not
subtracting it from the depth of threads I'm programming would run the
tap into the bottom of the hole breaking it off in the hole.

Thats an expense no one needs. Not only is the tap broken, it takes a
good part of a day to setup an EDM lashup and EDM the central core of
tap out, leaving the teeth strips to be picked out of the hole with
tweezers.  The hole is still tapped and won't be damaged, and a part
that may cost hundreds of dollars is saved. But its far better to not
make that mistake in the first place.  So where do I find a new "units"?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis