upgrading python on raspbian

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 16:22:33 EDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 6:38 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> I'm not a python expert by a long ways.
>
> I have built the linuxcnc-master, which is the development branch of
> linuxcnc, a machine control program to run most metal carving machines.
> Lathes, milling machines, anything you can motorize, LinuxCNC can run.
>
> This requires a preempt-rt kernel which I've managed to build and
> install, all on a pi-4b running raspbian buster, the armfh-v7l version
> of debian 10.1.
>
> But linuxcnc is quite elderly code, some of it going back to before there
> was a linux, so despite being actively developed right now for x86 type
> hardware but has quite a list of missing dependencies I cannot satisfy
> from the raspbian repos.
>
> They are:

>  linuxcnc-uspace : Depends: python2.7-glade2 but it is not installable or
>
> Can anyone supply a list of python3 packages that will cover the
> functions contained in the above list?, and I will attempt to edit the
> linuxcnc srcs to use the more modern code base?

So if I understand you correctly, you're not worried about actually
supplying these apt packages, but you want equivalents so you can port
the code itself to Py3?

My recommendation would be to start with "sudo apt build-dep
linuxcnc-uspace" and see if it can get any, but otherwise, just
replace "python-" with "python3-" and see if that works. You may need
to dig up dev packages of them though.

Another option may be to just use pip to install your dependencies.
That might work out easier.

ChrisA