question about making an App for Android

pyotr filipivich phamp at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 10 19:34:43 EDT 2019

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> on Fri, 11 Oct 2019 09:49:03 +1100
typed in comp.lang.python  the following:
>On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 9:41 AM Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:47:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich <phamp at mindspring.com>
>> declaimed the following:
>> >"A simple program" to divide the amount of "today's" daylight into 12
>> >even '"hours", so that Dawn begins the First hour, the third hour is
>> >mid-morning, noon is the middle of the day, the ninth hour mid after
>> >noon, and the twelfth hour ends at sunset.  Is simple, no?  {no.}
>> >
>>         Even ignoring "phone" this is anything but simple. It relies upon
>> knowing one's latitude and date to allow computing the angle of the sun.
>> And you'll need to handle the fact that above/below arctic/antarctic
>> circles you will run into "zeros" where there is either 24 hours of
>> daylight or 24 hours of night.
>>

>Or.... maybe it's really simple, because there's an HTTP API that
>gives you the information. There's an API for everything these days. A
>quick web search showed up this:
>
>https://sunrise-sunset.org/api

	Thanks.

>Which means the project is a matter of taking the data and formatting
>it. (Also probably getting lat/long from the phone's location API.)
>I'd say this is a good-fun project - a one-week project for a student,
>a weekend project for an expert. And yes, there WILL be edge cases to
>deal with, but for the most part, it shouldn't be too hard.

	A one week project for a student. or Longer for a non-student.

	Oh well, as I say a lot: this wild be easy if I was doing it forty
hours a week.  And this part is a spin off of a larger mess, trying to
understand how astronomy was done before the invention of mechanical
clocks.  I get some off the wall inspirations.
--
pyotr filipivich