question about making an App for Android

pyotr filipivich phamp at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 10 19:30:32 EDT 2019

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:39:55
-0400 typed in comp.lang.python  the following:
>On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:47:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich <phamp at mindspring.com>
>declaimed the following:
>

>>"A simple program" to divide the amount of "today's" daylight into 12
>>even '"hours", so that Dawn begins the First hour, the third hour is
>>mid-morning, noon is the middle of the day, the ninth hour mid after
>>noon, and the twelfth hour ends at sunset.  Is simple, no?  {no.}
>>
>	Even ignoring "phone" this is anything but simple.

	Which is why it was in quote marks.   Yes, it is a simple concept,
it is the bloody implementation which gets complex.

> It relies upon
>knowing one's latitude and date to allow computing the angle of the sun.
>And you'll need to handle the fact that above/below arctic/antarctic
>circles you will run into "zeros" where there is either 24 hours of
>daylight or 24 hours of night.

	I figure to initially set it for 48 degrees north, which will be
close enough for my purposes.

>	Properly speaking, "transit" (noon) may NOT be midway between rising
>and setting.
>
>Astronomical Formulae for Calculators (4th Ed, Jean Meeus, 1988
>Willmann-Bell)
>	Chapter 21 Equation of Time
>	Chapter 41 Ephemeris for Physical Observations of the Sun
>	Chapter 42 Rising, Transit, and Setting
>
>Astronomy With Your Personal Computer (2nd Ed, Petter Duffett-Smith, 1990
>Cambridge University Press) (Chapters are named by BASIC subroutine)
>	RISET	for rising and setting time
>	SUN	(maybe of use)
>	SUNRS	for civil time sunrise/sunset, along with beginning/end of
>civil, nautical, and astronomical twilight.
>
>Practical Astronomy with your Calculator or Spreadsheet (4th Ed, P.
>Duffett-Smith & J. Zwart, 1989 Cambridge University Press)
>	Chapter 49 Sunrise and Sunset
>	Chapter 50 Twilight
>	Chapter 41 The Equation of Time
>

>	The phone GPS services, if available, may provide the local latitude to
>the application.
>
>>But getting from the development environment (the desktop) to the
>>phone is something I am clueless about.
>>

>	Getting anything that is not written in Java onto an Android phone is
>likely going to be a pain. You will most likely need an environment that
>runs on ARM architecture. And I have no idea what iOS requires.

	Thanks.  Not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but what I did
need to hear.
--
pyotr filipivich