Curious about library inclusion

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 07:00:59 EDT 2019

Probably low. There would need to be a clear justification as to why
having the library in the stdlib (and hence tied to Python's release
schedule for updates/bug fixes etc - which is typically a really
severe limitation for a newish library) would be better than having it
available as a 3rd party library on PyPI. It would also mean that it
would only be available in Python 3.9+, unless a parallel backport
module was maintained on PyPI, making the argument for inclusion in
the stdlib even weaker.

Basically, someone needs to explain the benefits of having *this*
library in the stdlib, and demonstrate that they are compelling.
(Generic arguments like "being in the stdlib means no need for a 3rd
party dependency" don't count because they would apply to any library
on PyPI equally...) That's a pretty high bar to reach. Not impossible,
by any means, but it needs a lot more than "this is a neat library".

As another measure, look at various other libraries on PyPI and ask
yourself why *this* library needs to be in the stdlib more than those
others. The answer to that question would be a good start for an
argument to include the library.

Paul