Python 3.6 on Windows - does a python3 alias get created by installation?

Malcolm Greene python at bdurham.com
Wed Oct 9 12:34:22 EDT 2019

I'm jumping between Linux, Mac and Windows environments. On Linux and Mac we can invoke Python via python3 but on Windows it appears that only python works. Interestingly, Windows supports both pip and pip3 flavors. Am I missing something? And yes, I know I can manually create a python3 alias by copying python.exe to python3.exe but that approach has its own set of nuances on locked down servers plus the hassle of keeping these python3 copies up-to-date across Python updates.

Also curious: Do the Windows versions of Python 3.7 and 3.8 provide a python3 alias to start Python?

Thanks!
Malcolm