Would you be interested in this Python open source project?

Simon Connah scopensource at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 08:32:17 EDT 2019

On 08/10/2019 13:17, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 08/10/2019 11:22, Simon Connah wrote:
>> I'm posting this message as a way to gauge interest in the project
>> and to see if it is worth moving forward with. There are probably
>> hundreds of CI/CD tools out there and many more general devops tools
>> but what I want to build is a CI/CD tool that ONLY supports Python
>> 3.6 or greater and only runs on one Linux distribution (my preference
>> is Ubuntu). This way configuration would be much more simple than the
>> vast majority of devops tools which try to support every programming
>> language that is popular (or so it seems) on many different Linux
>> distributions and even Windows and macOS.
>>
>> My theory is that if you limit the devops tool to a very limited
>> subsection of the available options the system will be easier to
>> configure for users, more stable, easier to patch bugs in and
>> generally just be a better all around things for Python developers.
>>
>> I'd love to hear some feedback on the idea.
>>

> I think your reasoning is sound.  I probably wouldn't make a lot of
> use of it, but I live in Embedded Systems land where it's notoriously
> hard to do CI off the target silicon.  Other people living in more
> tractable problem spaces will probably be more enthusiastic.

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep working on this project and see how
it turns out. I'm quite excited about it actually as I find that most
CI/CD systems are so complicated when it comes to simple tasks. I want
to build something where the developer spends 10 minutes reading the
documentation and then can do 90% of what he needs with no more hand
holding or Googling.