How to handle '-' in the 'from' part in a "from import" statement?

Tue Oct 8 21:30:30 EDT 2019

On 9/10/19 2:12 PM, jfong at ms4.hinet.net wrote:
> dieter於 2019年10月8日星期二 UTC+8下午1時33分20秒寫道:
>> jfong at ms4.hinet.net writes:
>>> But most of the download from Github has a directory named 'xxxx-master' which causes a trouble sometimes.
>>
>> Those are likely not meant to be imported directly.
>>
>> Typically, you have a "setup" step which installs (in some way)
>> a "distribution". This step usually ensures that you can use
>> "normal" Python import syntax to access all associated packages.
>>
>> The "setup" step is typically performed with
>> "python setup.py develop" or "python setup.py install" --
>> with the "distribution" providing the "setup.py".
>
> Yes, I understand the normal procedure on using a package, but it's not always the case.

I'm curious - if this is the correct way to do things, and the original
author intends the package/module for you to download, why does (s)he
choose to follow an non-Pythonic naming convention?

Does this say something about the author?
- something about his/her abilities in Python?
- the Python-friendliness (or otherwise) of GitHub? (cf PyPi)

--
Regards =dn