Access violation in Python garbage collector (visit_decref) - how to debug?

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 03:04:09 EDT 2019

It's possible. Our embedding code is fairly simple and we've tried to
encapsulate all the DECREFing in resource objects, i.e. that do DECREF in
their destructor when they go out of scope. We hoped this would minimise
this sort of problem.
The C++ calling code essentially tries to call progwrapper.prog with a
dictionary as arguments, and looks like

GilStateHolder pyStateHolder;
PyRefHolder module(PyImport_ImportModule("progwrapper"));

  if (module._ref)
  {
    PyXRefHolder func(PyObject_GetAttrString(module._ref, "prog"));
    PyXRefHolder pyArgs(PyTuple_New(1));
    PyXRefHolder pyDict(convertDictForPython(dictIn));
    PyTuple_SetItem(pyArgs._ref, 0, pyDict._ref);
    PyRefHolder pyRet(PyObject_CallObject(func._ref, pyArgs._ref));

    if (pyRet._ref != NULL)
    {
      addPythonValuesToDict(pyRet._ref, theDict);

where GilStateHolder, PyRefHolder etc are such resource objects as
described above, wrapping round the PyObject pointers etc.

/Geoff